Eel Fisherpersons Support Scheme
The Eel Fisherpersons Support Scheme will provide €3million over three years to fisherpersons experiencing hardship following the Government’s decision to follow scientific advice on eel stocks from 2009 and beyond.
The Scheme offers a restitution payment to former eel fisherpersons who were licenced / permitted to engage with the commercial eel fishery in 2007.
Key Points about the Scheme:
- The fund is available to all commercial eel licence holders who held a licence (or an eel fishing permit from the E.S.B.) in the 2007 season.
- A tax free sum may be paid to licence or permit holders in respect of each of the five reckonable years (2003-2007) for which they were a licence or permit holder.
- A further taxable payment may be made to licence or permit holders in respect of the average of their catches, based on State held records, during the five reckonable years (2003-2007).
The scheme will be open for applications from the 22nd of October until 5pm on the 30th of November 2018.
To apply, use the application form in the pdf Eel Fisherpersons Support Scheme Booklet and Application Form (532 KB) [pdf] or
Further information is available in the pdf Eel Fisherpersons Support Scheme Booklet and Application Form (532 KB) or pdf Leabhrán na Scéime Tacaíochta d’Iascairí Eascann (562 KB) and from the Eel Support Scheme Administrative Office:
- Eel Support Scheme
- Inland Fisheries Ireland
- Teach Breac
- Earl’s Island
- Telephone: (0)91563118
- pdf Privacy Notice - Eel Support Scheme (92 KB)
- pdf Fógra Príobháideachais (93 KB)