Eel Management Plan
The national plan describes a comprehensive programme of monitoring and evaluation of management actions and their implementation, and also a programme of eel stock assessment to establish a stock baseline, estimate silver eel escapement and monitor the impact of the management actions on the local stocks.
There are four main management actions aimed at reducing eel mortality and increasing silver eel escapement in Irish waters. These are a cessation of the commercial eel fishery and closure of the market, mitigation of the impact of hydropower, including a comprehensive silver eel trap and transport plan, ensure upstream migration of juvenile eel at barriers and improve water quality including fish health and bio-security issues.
IFI and eel fishermen will be engaged in investigating possible diversification schemes for the former commercial fishermen.
Irish silver eel escapement from freshwaters expressed as a percent of historic production (EU target = 40%) ranges from 8% in the ShIRBD to 64% in the SWRBD. The national percent escapement is 24%.
Management actions described will contribute to achieving a recovery in recruitment in 90 years (assuming an equivalent EU wide action), thereby aiming to achieve the EU escapement target in less than that timeframe. It is imperative that equivalent EU-wide action is taken at this level so as not to diminish the impact of Ireland's contribution.
Download the management plan
- National Report for Ireland on Eel Stock Recovery Plan (3.56 MB)
- REPORT ON THE STATUS OF THE EEL STOCK IN IRELAND 2009 - 2011 (6.64 MB)
- REPORT ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF EEL MANAGEMENT PLANS FOR IRELAND, INCLUDING THE TRANSBOUNDARY NWIRBD (1.92 MB)
- CONSERVATION OF EEL FISHING BYE-LAW NO. C.S. 312, 2012 (159.6 kB)
This Bye-law prohibits fishing for eel, or possessing or selling eel caught in a river in the State.
Standing Scientific Committee for Eel
- Executive Summary - Activity Report of the Standing Scientific Committee for Eel. 2012 (879.11 kB)
- Activity Report of the Standing Scientific Committee for Eel. 2012 (3.88 MB)