You can find out the ownership of land through the land registry on or through local knowledge. You must have consent from landowners prior to a funding application being submitted.  Proof of consent must be submitted on the relevant landowner agreement sheet accompanying the application form.  Written landowner consent is required if you need to cross someones land to gain access to the river and to ensure landowners are in agreement with the proposed works.