Job title: Technician Rate Type: Salaried
Reports to: SENIOR RESEARCH OFFICER/Research officer or other line manager as deemed necessary
Location: Citywest, extensive travelling involved
Assist the Research Officer with a scientific research programme to inform and support efforts to control the invasive plant Lagarosiphon major (curly weaved waterweed) on Lough Corrib.
Data Collection Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Research Officer to meet the required deadlines for the Project
- Using the appropriate technological tools, assess the effectiveness of the on-going invasive plant management programme for Lagarosiphon major (curly weaved waterweed) and related fisheries management goals on Lough Corrib
- Collect data on the detailed distribution of Lagarosiphon major using GPS and other technology as well as ensure that seasonal biomass development of Lagarosiphon major is quantitatively monitored
- Provide up to date information on the status of Lagarosiphon major in Lough Corrib to inform on-going and future invasive plant control efforts
- Review advancements in national and international aquatic weed control which may assist in refining and improving control efforts for this invasive plant
- Assess the effect of habitat and environmental factors on the establishment and persistence of Lagarosiphon major using appropriate equipment
- Investigate and trial innovative approaches to increase the efficiency of control efforts
- Investigate, develop and trial innovative approaches to enhance monitoring activities of this invasive weed
- Assist the Research Officer to carry out the desk study and most of the scientific investigations and associated fieldwork.
- Work independently in the field and with the support of other IFI staff when required
- Work closely with the Research Officer to ensure the project meets the agreed deadlines
Data Processing & Reporting Responsibilities
- Assist in reviewing all literature and existing data sets in relation to Lagarosiphon major
- Participate in compiling reports in conjunction with the Research Officer
- Assist in reviewing advancements in national and international aquatic weed control methods
- Maintain close liaison with the staff of IFI Galway
- Liaise with the organisations involved in the project and other groups as required.
- Liaise closely with the Research Officer responsible for the Project
- Carry out such duties as may be assigned to the post from time to time by the Research Officer
The research programme on Lagarosiphon in Lough Corrib will involve a significant element of field survey work in Co. Galway. The project will require flexibility regarding working hours.
The position will based in our Head Office in CityWest (Dublin) and therefore travelling to Lough Corrib on a daily/weekly basis will be a requirement. Specific purpose contract – 1 year.
Note: The above attempts to outline in a broad sense the range of duties associated with a Technician post. However other duties may arise as the requirements of the project and our stakeholders change over time.
Qualifications & Experience
The research Technicians, appointments will normally be made at the first point of the scale:
€33,563, €35,823, €37,180, €38,849, €40,533, €43727, €46,355, €48,978, €51,582, €53,244 (LSI1)
Appointment to this position will be a specific purpose contract initially one year.
The term TECH/LAGAR/2018 should appear in your application email subject line.
Late applications will not be processed.
Short listing will be based on information provided in the Cover Letter and CV
Canvassing will disqualify
Inland Fisheries Ireland is an equal opportunities employer