Jobs at IFI: Research Officer - Lagarosiphon (Re-advertised)
Job title: Research Officer Rate Type: Salaried
Reports to: SENIOR RESEARCH OFFICER or other line manager as deemed necessary
Location: Citywest, extensive travelling involved
Be responsible for the delivery of a specific scientific research programme to support efforts to control the invasive plant Lagarosiphon major (curly weaved waterweed) on Lough Corrib in conjunction with the relevant technician.
Data Collection Responsibilities
- Day to day delivery of the Project in conjunction with the relevant Technician under the supervision of the Senior Research Officer or other line manager as deemed necessary
- Liaise closely with the Senior Research Officer and supervise staff allocated to the project
- Work with the Technician to assess the effectiveness of the on-going invasive plant (Lagarosiphon major (curly weaved waterweed)) management programme and related fisheries management goals on Lough Corrib
- Work with the Technician to ensure data is collected on the detailed distribution of Lagarosiphon major using GPS and other technology as well as to ensure that seasonal biomass development of Lagarosiphon major is quantitatively monitored
- Provide up-to-date information on the status of Lagarosiphon major in Lough Corrib to the Senior Research Officer to inform on-going and future invasive plants control efforts
- Review advancements in national and international aquatic weed control which may assist in refining and improving control efforts for this invasive plant
- Assess the effect of habitat and environmental factors on the establishment and persistence of Lagarosiphon major
- Investigate and trial innovative approaches to increase the efficiency of control efforts
- Investigate, develop and trial innovative approaches to enhance monitoring activities of this invasive plant
- Carry out the desk study and most of the scientific investigations and associated fieldwork with the assistance of a technician.
- Work independently in the field and with the support of other IFI staff when required
Data Processing & Reporting Responsibilities
- Review all literature and existing data sets in relation to Lagarosiphon major
- Review advancements in national and international aquatic weed control which may inform development and refinement of control efforts
- Analyse all of the data collected and present in GIS compatible format
- Maintain raw data and all other records in a clear, concise manner
- Compile in conjunction with the technician reports to support the research carried out
- Contribute to the authorship of reports, management briefs and scientific publications linked with the project
- Maintain close liaison with the staff of IFI Galway
- Liaise with the organisations involved in the project and other groups as required
- Work closely with the Technician to ensure deadlines for the projects are met and work is carried out
- Carry out such duties as may be assigned to the post from time to time by the Senior Research Officer
The research programme on Lagarosiphon in Lough Corrib will involve a significant element of field survey work in Co. Galway. The project will require flexibility regarding working hours.
The position will based in our Head Office in CityWest (Dublin) and therefore travelling to Lough Corrib on a daily/weekly basis will be a requirement.
Specific purpose contract – 1 year
Note: The above attempts to outline in a broad sense the range of duties associated with a Research Officer post. However other duties may arise as the requirements of the project and our stakeholders change over time.
Qualifications & Experience
Research Officer, appointments will normally be made at the first point of the scale:
€34,205, €35,889, €37,892, €39,765, €42,455, €44,689, €46,514, €48,283, €52,291, €54,190, €56,190, €58,187, €60,174, €62,187, €63,664 (LSI1) & €65,755 (LSI2)
Appointment to this position will be a specific purpose contract initially one year.
Short listing will be based on information provided in the Cover Letter and CV
Canvassing will disqualify
Inland Fisheries Ireland is an equal opportunities employer