Eel Management Plan
The national plan describes a comprehensive programme of monitoring and evaluation of management actions and their implementation, and also a programme of eel stock assessment to establish a stock baseline, estimate silver eel escapement and monitor the impact of the management actions on the local stocks.
The eel fishery will remain closed until 2018. A full explanation for this decision is included in the documents below - Details of the Public Consultation and associated appendices.
- pdf Conservation of Eel Fishing Bye-Law No. C.S. 319, 2015 (82 KB)
- pdf Details of the Public Consultation on the Management of Eel Stocks in Ireland from 2015 to 2018 (501 KB)
Eel Consultation 2015
Earlier in 2015 Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) invited submissions from interested parties on the following reports:
Implementation of Ireland’s Eel Management Plans including the transboundary IE_NorW Eel Management Plan
- spreadsheet Annex 2 - Electronic data tables (288 KB) - Eel management report tables - Excel download
- pdf Report from the independent Standing Scientific Committee on Eel 2015 (2.57 MB)
- pdf Eel Monitoring Programme: 2012 - 2014 (9.93 MB)
These reports should be read in conjunction with the original report:
- default National Report for Ireland on Eel Stock Recovery Plan - Including River Basin District Eel Management Plans (3.56 MB)
These reports include the latest research and management information on eels in Ireland compiled over the last three years and updates the status of the stocks. The management policy for eels in Ireland over the next three years will be determined from these reports and any relevant submissions received from interested parties.