Brown Trout Fishery Stock Surveys
Due to its sparse fish fauna lacking many predator and competitor species, its temperate climate, and its large, shallow, productive lakes, Ireland is the only country in Western Europe with an abundance of lakes which can support large stocks of wild brown trout for the angler to enjoy. This importance of wild brown trout fisheries to the Irish and tourist angler alike has long been recognised by IFI and its predecessors.
Since the 1960s, fisheries surveys have been undertaken to monitor stocks of wild brown trout in Ireland’s premier lake fisheries, especially in lakes which are managed by IFI for the conservation of wild brown trout. More recent reports on stock surveys of wild brown trout lake fisheries are available via the links below:
- pdf A Report on a Scientific Survey of Adult Fish Stocks in Lough Ree (2014) (1.32 MB)
- pdf The Current Status of Fish Stocks in Lough Sheelin Report 2012 (2.74 MB)
- pdf A Survey of Adult Fish Stock in Lough Corrib (2012) (1.94 MB)
- pdf A Fish Stock Survey of Lough Carra and a Review of the Current Ecological Status of the Fishery 2009 (514 KB)
- pdf A Fish Stock Survey of Lough O'Flynn and a Review of the Current Ecological Status of the Fishery 2008 (580 KB)
- pdf A Review of Fish Stocks in Lough Ennell and Recommendations for the Future Management of this Resource 2004 (301 KB)
- pdf A Fish Stock Assessment of Lough Arrow, 2002 Management Proposals for this Resource (277 KB)
- pdf A Fish Stock Assessment of Lough Inchiquin Co. Clare, 2002 (185 KB)
- pdf A Review of Changes in the Fish Stocks of Loughs’ Conn and Cullin over time (1978 – 2001) (270 KB)
- pdf Lough Melvin Fish Stock Report 2001 (10.64 MB)
- pdf The Current Status of Fish Stocks in Lough Sheelin (388 KB)
The WFD surveillance monitoring programme also conducts surveys of most of these wild brown trout fisheries as well as other lakes that contain brown trout. Visit http://wfdfish.ie/ for further information.
The legacy of this extensive lake survey programme is the scientific basis that underlies stock management for the conservation of wild brown trout in Ireland.
These research projects and monitoring programmes aim to ensure that IFI’s fisheries management policies and operations are informed by scientific research, are based on best practice and are carried out in accordance with strict standard operating procedures.
Further information on the stock management policies informed by this research can be found at http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Fisheries-Management/stock-management.html
These reports can also be accessed for your lake of interest by clicking on the map below: